Legend has it that Elvis was quite fond of fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Not exactly health food and who knows if it’s even true, but it is the inspiration behind my twist on my signature banana bread (which, I’m proud to day, just brought me over $200 in fundraising for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society :)).
Peanut butter and bananas–a classic combination, right? And I must say, it’s positively marvelous in banana bread.
Elvis Bread (peanut butter banana bread)
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon (or more to taste)
- 2/3 cup sugar (you can use regular granulated sugar or brown sugar–the latter makes this even more moist!)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (you can also substitute milk, but I highly recommend buttermilk for the texture–it makes the bread very fluffy and tender)
- 1/3 cup canola oil (I used coconut oil, but you can also use butter)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 very ripe bananas, frozen and then defrosted (the freezing and subsequent defrosting adds unbelievable moisture to this banana bread)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/3 cup walnuts (optional)
Preheat the oven at 350 degrees and grease a regular size loaf pan (or 2-3 mini loaf pans)
In a bowl, sift together the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon).
Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, beat the sugar and oil together until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is smooth. While the mixer is running, add in the eggs, one at a time. Add the buttermilk, vanilla, and bananas. Now add the flour mixture, a third of the mixture at a time. As always, be careful not to overmix, or the bread will turn out tough!
Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts if using them, then pour half of the batter into the pan. Drop in the half of the peanut butter and swirl it around with a knife. Top with the rest of the batter, then drop in the rest of the peanut butter and again, swirl with a knife.
Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown, then cool on a wire rack. And then… enjoy :).